Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"I am giddy; expectation whirls me round."  Troilus and Cressida, by William Shakespeare

And Shakespeare gets human emotions right...yet again.  I am more than giddy to get this London adventure underway!  Let me set the scene for you (more theater puns to follow): an eighteen-year-old girl falls in love with a boy, Romeo, whom she is forbidden to love.

Sorry, wrong story. Take #2:

An eighteen-year-old girl has been given the opportunity of a lifetime to travel the world and explore. Out of the many splotches on the map, the not-so-secret Anglophile picks an island known for the most photographed new mother and father (Prince Williams wants the baby's nursery to be "Africa themed"), an oddly charming accent, and museums filled with other countries' goodies (finders keepers, I guess).  Furthermore, as a thespian, she was immediately drawn to the society that at one point banned all traces of the theater ('tis mighty sinful, after all) but is simultaneously the home of the most influential playwright ever.  Over the next three months, she will be tested to the acting extreme as she joins 30 other aspiring actors in an intensive (9 am to 5 pm, 5 days a week) acting program which centers on Shakespearean comedies and Jacobean tragedies.  If that were not intense enough, the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art requires that her acting wardrobe consist of all black.  But enough of talking in the third person, I'm not a pompous Englishman from the 19th century...yet.

For the next three months I'll have a few buildings that will become my home away from home.

1. My own apartment! I'll be sharing a twin apartment with another actress from my program, complete with my own room, a view of London, and a kitchen.  This student apartment building also has plenty of other perks like a media room, pool tables, a roof cafe, and occasional barbecue parties (this Southerner will show them how it's done).

2. The LAMDA building!  I don't know much about the inside yet, but if the outside is any indication, I CAN'T WAIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment